I can’t wait to do the Big Reveal of my goals for 2013 – it’s not even December yet and I have already done a lot of detailed planning and forecasting. It’s going to be one of the most anticipated years ever and I can’t wait to get started. My theme for this year as “foresight” and although I lost my way a little in the middle there, I do think I’ve done as well with planning as I probably could have given the circumstances as they played out. But one thing I’ve learned as a major bonus this year is how to follow through on the plans to make them actually achievable! Doing the right things when the opportunity arises, having the discipline to do the things I’ve planned to do at the times I’ve allocated, committing to things day in, day out – these are all tools I’ll be taking with me into next year to make sure I actually achieve what I set out to do (or at least most of it!)
But first… the goals I hope and expect to achieve by the end of this year:
- Finish the Kanji! This is in two parts: thoroughly memorising all the kanji I’ve ever learned up to now (all 1300 odd of them) and learning the “new” grade 3 practice. Having left it so late (and having discovered that doing this sporadically won’t work!) I’ve left myself with a mammoth task of daily testing, practicing, and re-testing for the remainder of the year but gradually my numbers are improving. I hope to get pretty close to perfect by the end of the year.
- Finish reading Harry Potter in German – this should be fine, I have about 60 pages to go
- Prep Russian for next year. I’m hoping to go through and learn the “1000 most common Russian words” to give myself a fighting chance when it comes to starting to read in January.
- Sort Christmas. I’m almost done with making cards (which has been FUN!) and now have to write and send them. Presents are mostly bought and wrapped but I will need to buy a few last minute things. I also need to get prepared for our Christmas Day Tea which we’re hosting, and decide what to bake and whether/how to decorate!
- Make a birthday card a week during December – this is going to be a 2013 goal but I’ve run out of cards and have some birthdays coming up so am extending this forward.
- Get to 100 strength workouts (6 months) – I have 10 left to do so this should be fine.
- Get to 200 hours of music practice – I think there are about 35 to go, I’m aiming to get 60 for December as a trial-run for next year.
- Must do my taxes!!
- Sort out my online presence
- Sort out the house so it’s properly clean and sorted to start the new year!
- Lose weight (by sticking like glue to my Health Plan as outlined yesterday!) I want to get down below my start-weight for this year, down below my lowest weight of this year, and then hopefully down to a new lowest year-start-weight and within the zone that will allow me to lose the rest of my excess weight at a steady and reasonable pace next year. This will be a big ask and partly it’s down to the luck of the scales, but mostly it’s down to me taking responsibility, keeping my social schedule in check, not getting stressed out, and sticking to carb-free home-cooked meals whenever I can.