These are my health goals for 2013:
1) NEVER get depressed. To guard against this I need to:
– Manage my physical exercise, sleep, intake etc. We were debating the other night whether “sleep” needs to be a separate goal and this probably needs further consideration!
– Manage my emotions – am I singing enough? Am I writing enough? Am I being honest with people? Also I need to manage physical triggers like pain, stress and tiredness.
– Manage my time – don’t over-schedule, plan my week around my commitments to my health and my goals and social commitments, and add in deliberate down-time!
– Manage my contribution towards my goals, so I can feel good about succeeding with the changes I want to make.
2) Get to Goal Weight. This is the one concrete one-off deliverable, and next year it should be possible at an average of 2lb (or just over) a week. I have this goal every year and I guess I will continue to have it until I get there! It would be fantastic to make 2013 the last year of having it and it’s my best chance in a long time in the absence of other drama! Sub-goals are:
– Lose 1kg a week on average
– Get to Lowest Weight Yet by the start of Spring
– Get to sub-200s by my birthday (end of May)
– Get to 70kg by 18 November (random goal courtesy of my husband!)
3) Commit to consistently observing an eating and exercise plan that becomes the automatic basis for our lifestyle. I’ve done some great work setting this up and have found a structure that works for me, and because it works I’ve managed to develop a let’s get on with it attitude alongside it which means I rarely miss a workout. Find what works and do it, is basically the motto. This is the structure to maintain:
– 5x Cardio workouts a week (currently swim x3, bike intervals x1, long walk x1 though the mix can change and the intensity will need to increase as time goes on).
– 5x mini-strength sessions a week
– 5x carbless dinners and lunches each week
– Never have a wholly sedentary day
– Never fall below 4x strength/cardio exercise a week
– I’m not counting hours or heart-rates or miles of exercise this year, at least to start with – the main thing is just to make the sessions and give my best. As a time commitment this is about 2h (swimming) + ½hr (bike) + ½hr (mixed strength) + 3h (long walk) + about 6h “passive” walking, mostly to work and back, so 12 hours a week altogether.
4) Tackle one eating habit a month – this can be eliminating a bad habit or introducing a better one, or a combination of the two. My biggest problems are social eating and snacking at work, I’ve improved at making better choices in both these major areas and now I need to shore this up by focusing on one minor thing each month.
5) Start jogging again – hopefully come spring so I can make the most of the 6 months when it’s light enough to do so!
6) Take a weekly photo to track my progress as I’m losing weight.