It’s been a great little start to January 2013! I guess I expect January to go well but I’ve been waiting for this year to come around for so long that I think the list of goals has become a bit daunting – mixed with semi-excited anticipation about getting started on a fresh set of targets, and having a schedule I know will work better for me. Some successes so far:
1) I did my first page of Russian reading! It was a slog, took ages and I was looking up so many words, but I did just about understand what it was saying and I stuck with it and got to the end of the page! It was interesting actually; seeing the words in play makes them far more comprehensible than just trying to learn random words from a list, and I’ve pulled out some good key words to learn on the train. It was very time-consuming because I’m learning Russian keyboard to type vocab into the online dictionary, which was painfully slow on the first day, but it can only get easier now that I’m getting used to it. I was so pleased with myself for managing to get through it!
2) I’ve stuck with my workouts so far, despite some changes in plan. We didn’t get out new year’s day walk as HH wasn’t well but I did a substitute bike interval workout instead, and a pre-work swim on the 2nd which is the 4th day in a row (bike/swim/bike/swim) – the 3rd was a scheduled rest-day but I’ve been doing my strength exercises. I signed up for a swim membership at last which will be more economical and save time, giving me more swimming time. My speed is improving a bit so hopefully in time I’ll be able to go further – and I have my new (old) towels! So it’s just a nicer experience over all.
3) I’ve already lost the weight I gained over Christmas (4lb) so here’s to further incremental weightloss over the rest of this week and the whole of January.
4) Going back to work, I found it impossible to sleep the night before – but I did get most of my week’s language reading done during that one night! I have made a start with German listening and my kanji and everything is going well – I feel like these small chunks of activity on different aspects of my languages are really helping to improve my skills bit by bit – feeling motivated about that! Getting my reading done at bedtime frees up train journeys for all sorts of other vocab and kanji work.
5) I seem to have had the most enormous list of miscellaneous/snagging tasks, various bits of prep and organisation as well as goal updates, vision board and scrapbooking bits to finish up and checklists to make. I’ve been trying to plough through as much of that as possible and finally feel like I might be getting on top of it all.
6) I’m up on my music hours! (admittedly thanks to not being at work on Tuesday when I was able to get a little extra in). This is the thing I’m most worried about fitting in/failing to fit in each week but I’m going into the weekend with quite a few hours racked up already which should make it easy to complete this week’s 15 hours and get ahead a bit too. Doing this many hours, it’s easy to see myself making progress with songs and piano alike so that’s motivating me as well. Coming home and having a list that only consists of Music and Cleaning has made things far, far simpler!
Overall I’m staying committed to the goals I set for myself and it’s all fitting together OK at the moment – I am starting to feel the weight and enormity of what I’ve take on but also, if I succeed, I can really make deep changes in my life this year, this is the real deal and I have everything to play for.