This is part of a post I was writing on Friday at work…
I’ve been feeling a bit overwhelmed recently – I seem to have a vague memory that I was once on top of things at some point, but I can’t really remember when it actually was. I think it was probably around the time that I last had an extra day off at the weekend to fit things in!
My baseline commitments are not that bad, and yet I feel like I’ve over-committed. The baseline is just:
- 15 hours of music
- 28 hours of work + travel time + lunch
- Exercise – 5 or 6 cardio sessions + walking + changeover time
- Cleaning – about 2-3 hours
- I’ve already downgraded study time to what I feel like/what I can fit in so that’s not really a commitment as such.
- Doing things for other people – sorting out presents, making things, sending things and making arrangements – seems to eat up quite a lot of time I haven’t accounted for.
I think part of the problem is that I’m trying to fit a lot in on a daily basis and never seem to get a day “off” or any let-up – because inevitably there are days I don’t manage to fit everything in and then I feel like I have to catch up, and the days I would have been “free” then get spilled into.
I am always dying to get my music time done before Monday so I can have a “free” day to myself (but I never quite manage it – and after all Monday is my biggest slot of time for music, undisturbed).
I also find that I never have enough time to write – most days I get 20 minutes in the morning before rushing out the door and sometimes a bit longer at weekends but I’m always thinking about moving on to the next thing.
I used to have one night a week “off” where I could just go home and do whatever I wanted. These days we probably have one early night a week (by which I mean that we both give up and collapse in bed because we’re so tired!) so that becomes the night “off” by default – but it doesn’t really count.
If I had a night free to do whatever I liked, what would I choose to do? Writing, for sure, and probably some sorting out around the house (which also seems to be in a permanent state of disarray) and some creative of inspiration-farming activities.
If I had a whole day free to do whatever I liked, what would I choose to do? Guess it would depend on how I felt at the time. I would have to work out, but going for a run in the sun when you know you’ve got time to stretch properly beforehand and cool down after and have a bath (I’ve missed baths for THREE weeks now!) feels pretty good.
Then this happened:
- Friday night was pretty normal, I made just over an hour of music and a few other chores but nothing spectacular.
- Saturday, I slept in until lunchtime – literally, I got out of bed and went straight to the kitchen to cook lunch! We finished eating at 2pm and between then and when we went to bed, I somehow got 5h20 of music done AND did a workout and made an evening meal, plus a few chores. It totally seemed like my lie-in had paid off!
- Sunday (today) I’ve had another lie in until just after 10, woke up and had a shower and then got in two hours’ music before lunchtime (total for the week at just over 12h – planning to do a little more tonight and a couple of hours tomorrow). Then I was due to go out for a friend’s birthday but got cancelled on en route, so now I’ve unexpectedly had the afternoon at home – hours to relax and think and also the chance to get to 15h before we even get to Monday!
So now it’s looking like I will have a whole day tomorrow to do whatever I like and have some proper thinky-time – by then I’ll be totally rested, I’ll only have a tiny bit of obligatory music time if any at all, and I’ll have the luxury of doing whatever I like with my day, fixing things up, and sorting out all the little things that I’ve been struggling to find time for. Can’t wait!