Despite the fact that it was snowing all day, I decided the answer to my little stress/malaise episode last week was to give myself a good spring clear-out, both physically and mentally. It’s been lovely to have a couple of days just to potter about and do what I liked in whatever order I wanted to.
Here’s what I’ve been clearing out over the past couple of days…
Literal Spring Cleaning:
(A few tasks that desperately needed doing!)
- emptied and cleaned the hoover & had a good go at all the floors including all the dusty corners and edges, and the awkward messy bits like next to the bed (I’m not going to apologise for eating breakfast in bed at weekends but it does get a bit crummy!) and under the big desk where I had a little bead accident last week and the odd rice crispie tends to be found…
- lifted and turned the mattress, cleaned out under the bed (no food! but I did find my spare ear plugs yay!) and sorted out the supports – there had been some dangerous creaking and as I suspected both the supports were at an unlikely angle! Also aired the underneath of the mattress for the afternoon
- cleaned up all the mildew from the bathroom – around the window and a little bit on the ceiling. Involves the tricky combination of step ladder + bleach (!) but it’s worth it to have everything white again!
- sorted out the windows – we have an ongoing problem with condensation and I can’t work out why, maybe it’s because we haven’t been heating or ventilating enough or maybe we’re just “moist” people? Thankfully we have PVC windows here so no damage like the wooden frames at our old place, but I want to keep on top of it better. Time to break out some of my old spare towels and set up a more regular heating schedule!
- Still to do this week as part of my regular cleaning time: bathroom floor, kitchen windows (step ladder again argh!) and steam the carpets because something somewhere smells dodgy.
- Got back up to date with laundry
- Cleaned up my workdesk from all (ok most of) the creative stuff that’s been going on lately and that made the space feel so much freer.
Mental Spring Cleaning:
(Plans and thinky-time):
- Updated vision boards including monthly goals and inspirational quote for the month
- Made a plan for 2Q and wrote in commitments, busy weeks, and ring-fenced free weekends
- Made a music planner where I can see my music practice time building up and also track my deliverables and projects, all on one page
- Updated my music project sheet, plans for next week and made up sheets to the end of the quarter.
- Having started my washi tape, it’s now imperative that I use it on everything (!) so I made some little journalling cards I can use in scrapbooking and so on – can’t explain why this made me feel so much better but it did!
- Reviewed long- and mid-term goals to see what progress I’ve already made and what adjustments I need to make to keep on target
- Had a BATH! Finally! Very restorative!
Ringing the changes:
(A few updates to things):
- Languages: updated my ipod with all the podcasts I’ve found
- Songs to learn: updated ipod with most recent purchases
- Music: found the headphones that go with my phone to (magically) make it a radio! Hoping this will give me more new things to listen to